Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Sentio - A Short Film



A man is on a date while battling his inner demons. That is the basis of Sentio. It's a psychological surrealist short film. The script and concept came from my fellow classmate, Brett Taylor. The script was 18 pages long and the film ended up being 13 minutes long.

Pre-Production

Pre-Production began with Brett's treatment which he expanded into a script. We then moved into assigning roles: Brett was director and editor, Ariel was location scout and art designer, Brendan was sound, Damien was cinematographer and I was production designer and makeup artist. The storyboards took several days to finish. 

Production

Production was pretty straight forward. We were able to film in two days. The first day was at Westside Nazarene Church; we filmed the date scenes. All went really well. We ended up to re-film some shots due to microphone issues, but it all turned our pretty great.

The second day of filming, I wasn't able to make due to a previous commitment, but from what I've heard, it went really well. 

Post-Production

Editing, as seen by my group, is a solo affair. Brett was editor because it was his story, his vision. We gave input where he asked us to and other things, but he did most of it so I really can't go into detail. One thing we did realize during editing that our shotgun microphone hadn't picked up all our audio, so some extra editing had to be done there.

My Role

I was production designer; I took the script and turned it into drawings.  It took several days and I had help on it from other students.

What I Learned

I've never used a DSLR to film before. It was new to me and I will never go back to the other film cameras. We also used a shotgun mic for the date scene. I learned that it wasn't such great idea. The audio ended up either being too quiet or messed up.

Conclusion

This film is probably the best thing I've created in my little over two years at ONW. There are most definitely some flaws and things we could have done differently, but it was a success overall. I really hope to continue to create videos like this over the rest of the year and beyond.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Senior Final Exam

Four years of e-Comm has gone so quickly. It's been a blur of projects and fun times, yet a time of indescribable grow...