Monday, October 19, 2015

Social Media and School Combine.

What Do You Mean?

         Did you know that social media can affect your personal life? Of course you did! But what most people don't know is how it can affect your school life too. I'm not just talking about your friends following you on Instagram or you finding out your teacher has a Facebook. I'm talking about how it can hurt your chances of getting into the college you want. It's pretty nerve racking.

Overview

        Yesterday, E9 read an article titled "They loved your GPA, then they saw your Tweets" by Natasha Singer of the New York Times. This article talks about how some colleges will check potential students' social media sites to help decide whether they want to accept them or not. Pretty scary, isn't it? especially for someone like me who has big plans for her future.

Surprises,  Surprises 

        Some things were really surprising to me. I would have thought more admission officers would check someone's social media. According to the article, out of 381 schools, only 31 percent said the looked at a potential students Facebook or other website. That's at least 118 schools. On top of that, 30 percent said they had found something offensive on an applicant's page.

Really? Are You Sure About That?

         I'm not the smartest person around, so parts of this article where highly confusing. One of the big things that bothered me was the fact that the applicant is not usually notified about the troubling material found online. What good does that do? Wouldn't being told help get the idea into their head that they need to change their online personality?

What do I Think of My Social Media?

        I'm pretty okay with my personality online. I have a Facebook and Instagram. I don't post on my Facebook, but I am constantly updating my Instagram. I have two accounts, a personal and and anime themed one. I try to keep them appropriate even though some of my followers aren't. I would and could change a few things if I had to though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Senior Final Exam

Four years of e-Comm has gone so quickly. It's been a blur of projects and fun times, yet a time of indescribable grow...